and Animal Health Problems Caused by Mycotoxins in Feeds
Some of the effects of Aspergillus toxins , such as Aflatoxins (Polar)
in Poultry and Swine
Reduce birds ability to withstand stress by inhibiting the immune
system. This causes-
1) In layers , reduction in egg size, weak egg
shells and lower production.
2) Contamination of egg production to humans with
3) In broilers, aflatoxin causes disease , such as fatty liver and
other symptoms that reduce weight gain and increase morality, resulting
in reduction of productivity indexes.
1) In severe aflatoxicosis, one can expect acute effects
, including death.
2) Aflatoxin M1 appears in the milk of sows fed
with aflatoxin contaminated feed and may affect piglets nursing
Some of the effects of Fusarium toxins (NON Polar) , such as Zearalenone,
Deoxinavenol (DON) , Fumonisin and T2 in Poultry and Swine-
1) T2 will causes tongue, mouth and intestinal
lesions, affecting the bird’s ability to eat and digest feed
2) DON is associated with decreased feed consumption
in layers and broiler breeders.
3) Fumonisin causes a weak immune systems, decreasing
its response to antibiotics and vaccines
and making the animal more susceptible to pathogenic challenges.
1) Zearalenone significantly affects the sow’s
reproductive performance, increasing redness, size of the vulva
and mammary tissue.
2) Zearalenone will cause embryonic mortality at
certain stages and fertility problems.
3) DON will cause severe weight loss due to swine
vomiting and other physiological disorders.
4) T2 is associated with feed passage and decreased